From a biblical standpoint, spiritual gifts are those gifts given to God’s people from our Heavenly Father through the Holy Spirit to prepare people for service in assisting with building up the church of Jesus Christ. Though there are several types of gifts, and some identify having more than one, each one of us is promised at least one spiritual gift to use in service for Him. The gifts of the Spirit are as follows:
- Missionary (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)
- Healing (James 5:13-16; Luke 9:1-2)
- Intercession (1 Thessalonians 3:10-13; 1 Timothy 2:1-2)
- Craftsmanship (Exodus 28:3-4)
- Hospitality (Genesis 18:1-15)
- Faith (Hebrews 11)
- Discernment (Acts 5:3-6; Acts 16:16-18)
- Mercy (Luke 10:30-37)
- Giving (2 Corinthians 8:1-5)
- Administration (Acts 15:12-21)
- Leadership (Hebrews 13:7; Judges 3:10; Exodus 18:13-16)
- Helps (Acts 6:2-4)
- Serving (Galatians 6:1-2)
- Knowledge (Ephesians 3:14-19)
- Wisdom (James 3:13-17)
- Exhortation (Acts 11:23-24; Acts 14:12-22)
- Music (1 Corinthians 14:26; Mark 14:26)
- Teacher (Hebrews 5:12-14)
- Pastor (1 Peter 5:1-11)
- Evangelist (Acts 8:26-40)
- Prophet (1 Corinthians 14:1-5; 1 Corinthians 14:30-33; 1 Corinthians 14:37-40)
- Apostle (Acts 12:1-5; Acts 14:21-23)
I have a link below that goes more in-depth about defining each of the individual spiritual gifts mentioned. Spiritual gifts are God’s sovereign will and no one can choose the gift(s) you have. Hence, they are truly a gift from our Heavenly Father to His chosen people to enhance His kingdom.
There are spiritual gift surveys that give you the opportunity to find your spiritual gift(s). I have given you a few of the online surveys that are free of charge below. Sometimes it is helpful to do more than one survey and take the average between them.
My spiritual gifts are teaching, leadership, prophecy, knowledge and craftsmanship. For those who know me, this comes as no surprise. I encourage you to seek Him, find out what your spiritual gifts are and use them to grow in your service to Him. Once you know what your spiritual gifts are, you can make the decisions in your life that will allow you to grow them and do the tasks whether in a career or in your free time to enhance His kingdom. Life is short and we are not to waste the time we have been given in this life. He will do great things in your life, if you stop trying to control it and do it on your own (Joshua 3:5, Matthew 3:3, Romans 12:1-8, James 2:14-26). Enjoy your journey in identifying your spiritual gifts, using them, and growing closer to our Heavenly Father in the process.
I am available for individual or small group instruction relating to identifying and using your spiritual gifts. Feel free to leave me your contact information in a reply to discuss scheduling or if you just want to communicate about spiritual gifts in any way.